Sunday 31st January Happy new year to all of our web site visitors, past , present and future.We don't have much to report at the moment due to the winter weather and extreme cold within the workshop. Much of the mechanical work is currently on hold until we can raise enough finance to pay for the much needed new parts for the rear axle assembly.Saturday 13 March Finally back in the workshop to continue the rebuild of 172, after a prolonged and enforced lay off due to one of the coldest winters since our childhood, March 13th has seen our first working visit for 2010. Other than the regular ‘security’ visits we have not been able to continue the restoration with the mercury in the thermometer never really creeping above the 1 or 2 degree line. Thankfully, this weekend was considerably warmer and we needed no encouragement to get this season off to a good start.One of the last jobs at the end of 2009 was the preparation of the panelling for the interior of the entrance door, this being the mounting of the formica onto hardboard and cutting to shape (carefully as the formica is extremely brittle). Having replaced all the ‘captives’ in the framework (which the lock & handles fit into) we steadily began attaching the panels to the frame and reinstated the lock mechanism, the finished result being most pleasing and will look even better when the previously purchased door rubbers are attached.
Richard fitting the final parts to the door
Completed door- note old formica
Steve's attention has now turned to the emergency exit door and it has already seen rotten sections of its frame replaced and is now ready for the steel work which forms the lip for the new single skin outer panel to be fitted. (Not looking forward to that)! Away from the workshop, Steve has finished the refurbishment of the rear brake assemblies and what a stunning job he has done too. Absolutely all components have been stripped down, cleaned, repaired, replaced where necessary and re-assembled and now await returning to the workshop prior to refitting. The brakes have been relined, refurbished cams fitted and seals replaced. The only outstanding items required are 2 back plates. To coin a modern day phrase – ‘nice one geezer!’ Other components acquired over the winter have been a complete rear leaf spring, a new spring hanger bracket, 6 new shackle pins and bushes, 2 new brake drums and a number of useful spares such as a new starter motor, power steering pump, footbrake valve and clutch slave cylinder. Many thanks to Phil, Sam and Stuart for their help obtaining these items. Also purchased recently has been the second roll of seat moquette from Quantock Motors – (a big thank you to Steve Morris for providing this), and a brand new front name glass & frame turned up on ebay (BARGAIN!!).We still need to procure a second leaf spring before the back axle can be put back but currently the piggy bank is a little empty so we will have to busy ourselves with some of the other outstanding jobs.MARCH 20th Despite it being a balmy 11 degrees outside, we only managed a short working visit today as Steve has had a very long and exhausting week at work. While I busied myself early doors with a bit of a tidy up and sort out of the cupboards, Steve dived straight in and got himself mucky! CDK is / was fitted with an auto-greaser / lubrication system but much of it has been disconnected over the years and it is doubtful that what remains is restorable, so we have taken the decision to remove it altogether and rely on manual greasing instead. As we have progressed through the refurbished sections of the feed tubes have been cut away and all that basically remains are the pipes along the chassis above the engine bay and the distribution ‘rose’. Well not any more as this was detached this morning, but not without protest and much cursing – Steve getting himself splattered by the remaining fluids contained therein! The remaining feed pipes will now be pulled out and discarded.With my house keeping done, I made a start on the preparation of the emergency exit door framework. Mr Grinder & Mrs Mop Disk soon had all the box tube sections cleaned up of old paint & surface rust and as this a team effort, Steve soon joined in. He swiftly cut up some thin sheet steel sections to replace the rotten ones down the hinge side of the door (these are what the outer aluminium panel folds over) and once suitably measured and clamped into place, they were ‘pool’ welded into position.
A final dressing with the grinder and it was time for some red oxide primer.
Who's going grey on top then?
Now that the structural work is complete Steve will apply his coach building expertise to re-skinning the exterior – not easy as the edges require ‘rolling’ over the afore mentioned steel plate. I’m sure he will make a splendid job of it! As mentioned in a previous update, I have already made the replacement interior panels but these will only be attached once the exterior skin is on.
Another small achievement today was the removal of the final U bolt stub which had remained firmly rusted into the rear axle casting. With this out of the way the rear axle is now ready to be positioned back under the chassis.
Arriving by courier this week was the brand new front name-glass and frame which I managed to acquire on Ebay for £15 ! All we need now is someone to sign write the Yelloway name onto it!