The Restoration of AEC Reliance CDK172L
Project Dairy April 2013
APRIL 2013 Progress for 2013 hasn’t got off to a good start. The persistent cold weather and serious illness in the family delayed our resumption of restoration work this year until after Easter – the only serious session we were able to put in at the workshop prior to Easter was to move CDK and all our kit over to the end bay as the owner of the facility intends to bring another vehicle on site. Since Easter we have begun the preparations for the ‘final push’ to have CDK finished this year. The front fibreglass moulding has had a final rub down and any imperfections filled ready for it’s last coat of undercoat. The rear moulding and boot doors have also been rubbed down prior to the application of the final coat of gloss cream. In terms of painting all that remains to be done (excluding the above and once it is warm enough) is the marigold orange around the windows & skirt and a coat of gloss varnish. A solution to repairing our crumbly seats was devised over the winter months. A trip to the local foam suppliers resulted in us coming away with some 2 ¼ “square by 20” strips of high-density foam which will be used to replace the complete shoulders on each seat back. Cutting out what was left of the damaged shoulders was like putting a knife through a stale sponge cake but the new foam, once shaped and let in, has solved the problem. The rest of the seat moulding has had a good coating of spray adhesive and has then been covered with 2 sheets of filler material to attempt to arrest any more degradation and provide some additional padding. With the addition of a flame proof cotton cover each seat will be ready for the final covering of moquette.
Cutting out what was left of the damaged shoulders
covered with 2 sheets of filler material
new seat moquette
Re-covering the seats of a preserved bus is a very expensive undertaking (especially so with this type of Plaxton seats) and there aren’t that many preservationists who actually bother – most just clean up those that have come with their vehicle as the cost can run into several thousands and becomes prohibitive. A few years ago we were lucky enough to have the opportunity to purchase 2 rolls of seat moquette in the same pattern as that originally fitted to CDK. Over the winter though, we began to have doubts about whether we had enough to re-cover the full set. After 10 minutes with a tape measure and some ‘back of a fag packet’ calculations it appears that there should theoretically be enough….. just! Relieved, we decided to open up one roll to have a look at the pattern and lay it over one of the cushions as a taster of things to come. While doing this we realised that the roll is, in fact, much wider than the seats, the trimmers will have to cut it down the middle and machine it to make up the covers. The band down the centre (see picture) from which the ‘waste’ material will come from won’t go to waste at all, we’ll use this to re-trim the interior of the window pillars and above the entrance / emergency exit doors. It won’t be an authentic replacement of the original, which was chocolate brown with an orange pinstripe, but it will match the seats and keep our costs down.
Final trim being carried out by above company
Yelloway Diary MAY TO SEPTEMBER 2013 Yelloway Diary MAY TO SEPTEMBER 2013
A trip to a local upholstery suppliers has yielded a suitable vinyl to cover the sides of the seat backs and cushions, so with all the required materials assembled and 2 seat backs re-foamed we’ve made our first trip to the trimmers! We can’t wait to see the results! As mentioned above, re-trimming doesn’t come cheap so we will have to drip feed the trimmers a couple of seats at a time – unfortunately we’re not flush with cash!