For my 6th visit this year so far I have been on
my own as Stephen had other commitments to attend to. Nevertheless 3
full days were spent at Knuzden making use of a glorious weekend. A
start has been made on the interior of CDK - an area which until now
has largely been ignored other than to dismantle it!
Andy kindly wired up the nearside luggage rack lights on his last
visit (amongst other things) only for us to realise when we came to
screwing them in that they were ' handed' i.e.. left handed/right
handed and had to be re-fitted in the exact aperture from where they
came from. Errr... Andy can you bring your wire cutters with you
It is my intention to restore the interior of CDK to the same
standard as the exterior. The vast majority of "Preserved"
buses I have seen so far have had little or no attention paid to the
interior - this is where CDK will differ I hope. Much of this
weekend has been spent with a sponge and scrubbing brush in hand
attempting to remove years of accumulated grime that has built up.
The ceiling panels are actually white not a smoky yellow -grey!
All fittings will be systematically removed cleaned/polished and
re-fitted. Luckily CDK was acquired in a relatively complete state
if but a little tired. During the weekend I also cleaned a trial
area of the floor - and was encouraged to find that it cleans up
very well - the centre isle will, however, require the floor
covering to be replaced completely which will be a tricky job as it
means removing the channel which the seats legs fit into. Another
testing task will be the sourcing and fitting of the fabric which covers
such areas as the corner pillars and above both the entrance and emergency exit doors - I'll
cross that bridge a little later me thinks!
The baton will now be passed back to Stephen for a while as job
pressures will preclude me from any working visits for some time
- which is very annoying as I will miss the favourable
weather/temperature window so vital for progress on our project.
Friday 17th to Sunday 21st June Well its now mid
June and I really thought that I was turning a corner, what with the
amount of parts refitted to CDK..... that was until this weekend.
With difficulty in finding some motivation I decided to do jobs that
don't require much thinking.... step forward my trusty hammer and
grinder! The rotten section of stress panel has now been "chopped"
out and new cut ready for refitting as well as a small piece of
rotten bulkhead inside the destination box.